HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:21:41 +1100
In Australia a typical approach would be to

1) Search land title information as often grave sites were Crown Land
Reserves and their boundaries were surveyed before any interments took
place. Often particularly where graves have been abandoned local farmers
move fences in so that the fenced boundaries of a grave or cemetery are
less than they  originally were surveyed.

2) Remote sensing seems to be the best option. You may be lucky and get
something on airphotos particularly infa red photos or if we are talking
about a large cemetery, on satellite imagery. I have tried both.
Otherwise it is down to techniques such as resisitivity or ground
penetrating radar or even simple probing. Lots depends on the local
geology as to which technique is best.

3) Community consultation would also seem mandatory.

Iain Stuart
Uni of Syd
HLA-Envirosciences Pty.Ltd.