HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:19:46 -0400
Holy Cow! I used to subscribe to the INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY REVIEW but
somehow lost contact quite a few years back. Pat, would you please put
out for all of us the subscription information. It would be very helpful.

        I agree with your statement. It is true, however, that although
Industrial Archaeology should be the archaeology of the Industrial Revolution
and the Industrial Period in world history, there is still an antiquarian
orientation to many working in the field. This is not simply a matter of
semantics. If one group only does industrial sites (above ground; canals,
rr stations, power houses etc.) and a separate group excavates industrial
period sites (e.g. workers' neighborhoods, 19th century farms, or
military sites) this will hold the field back. Industrialization - a stage
in world cultural evolution - involves all sites and remains produced by
or under the influence of industrialization. We need a holistic Industrial
Archaeology and the authors you mention (whom I have not read because I
lost contact with the journal!) and the excellent Program at Michigan
Technological University will lead us to such a goal.

        I always considered that some of the pioneers in the field,
especailly Kenneth Hudson and R. Buchanan, had such an holistic,
"anthropological" perspective. [Does anyone know if Hudson is still alive?].

        Hope to see a lot of industrial archaeologists in Quebec for
SHA 2000.

                        Bob Schuyler