From:
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:49:03 EDT
I've noticed something over the past couple of years.  My mom noticed
it too.  When people discover that you can play a musical instrument
(especially if you play well), they think you are bright and gifted.
People tend to think you are gifted not only in music but everything else!
When people find that I can play the piano, percussion and a few brass
instruments, they'll automatically think I'm good in math.  They'll say
"aha!  He's good in math!"

When people find out that I can play Beethoven sonatas, Mozart sonatas,
and a couple of Chopin etudes and nocturnes at the piano, they think I'm
good in math, science, literature, etc.  When my band director and choir
director catch me goofing around, they'll say "Come on Jeremey, you're too
smart for that!" My history teacher will say the same thing.  People really
tend to asscociate classical music with people of high intelligence.  I'll
bet a lot of people will agree with me.

Everyone can relate with me about that neighbor or sibling who was really
smart in school.  When the person's parents saw that he/she had a lot of
potential, what did their parents do? Their mom went out and bought them
a clarinet or forced the poor child to take piano lessons.  That happened
to my brother.  A piano teacher thought my brother had so much potential
that the teacher even allowed my brother to take lessons for half price!
My brother actually cried when my mom made him take piano lessons.  He
eventually stopped taking them.  I guess he rubbed of on me or something!

Parents even let their newborns and toddlers listen to classical music in
hope of building their brain.  I even saw a CD at the store titled, Build
your Baby's Brain through the power of Beethoven.  So, from what I gather,
a lot of people have a high tendency to associate Classical music and
Intelligence.  What do you all think?

Jeremey