From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:44:16 +1000
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]> responded to me:

>>I wonder when Naxos will get to Hovhaness in their wonderful American
>>Composers set; & what selection from that vast body of work they'll
>>choose....
>
>I don't know.  Doing selections from a body of work isn't exactly the Naxos
>style.  Still, even Klaus Heymann must quail at the notion of doing the
>complete Hovhaness symphonies -- how many were there in all? I

Not true with the American Composers series, which have been dominated to
date by flying visits to composers like Gottschalk, Grofe & Willson.  Mind
you:  the idea of a Naxos Hovhaness edition does rather boggle the mind...
as i recall, there were more than 60 symphonies alone....

Still:  an ambitious USAmerican soprano would probably win a recording
contract with King Klaus by proposing a set from the big mystic's big book
of charming songs....

All the best,
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>