From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:01:52 -0400
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Twenty years ago the inventive and visionary Sarah Caldwell produced
>several fine performances every season. She never could get the financial
>backing or the fund raising infrastructure to make a long term go of it

I seem to recall at the time Sarah et al were working toward improving the
Opera House situation in Boston.  As I recall, the city ended up with the
'Wang Center', a refurbishment of the 'I forget the old name of it'
building.

During this discussion it seems to me there was a story in the Boston Globe
(I think) of a Boston Opera House that was a notable building, but at the
turn of the century was torn down.  This is all very vague, but I'm trying
to say I think there is some history to an Opera House in Boston, but I'm
clearly not an historian.

Regards, Good luck, let us know if your a better historian.

Tom Connor