From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 10:09:34 -0700
What does the list think of MIDI technology? Two of the 127 MIDI voices are
choir oohs and choir aahs.  This means that who could hear a Bach two part
invention without injury to the choir.  But beyond that, most classical
music is now available in MIDI format at websites on the Internet.  This
means one can get a classical music collection for free.  It is at least
worth hearing if for no other reason than to see what is wrong with it.
We learn from the bad as well as from the good.

The question is, for example, how well does a Beethoven sonata sound in
MIDI format to music experts? I have heard the Beethoven violin concerto in
MIDI and is sounds OK.  (MIDI allows putting many nuances into to music for
fidelity).

Any comments.

Bill Pirkle

 [Please explicitily link any further discussion to the appropriateness
 of MIDI technology to the reproduciton of classical music.  -Dave]