From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:30:42 -0500
Robert Peters:

>Up to now I have just bought CDs following a kind of accidental scheme.  I
>am growing dissatisfied with this and crave to have a stock of must-works,
>or, as I would like to coin it, I want to have CDs that represent the inner
>core of classical music....I have already built up a kind of list of my
>favourite works from the material I know and already bought:

You will be happiest if you continue the way you have begun, acquiring
recordings of works as you learn to love them, and keeping faith with your
own inner core.  You may find that your list of wants keeps exceeding both
the time and the funds available to you, over your whole lifetime.

But if you must have a list of what many others have valued, to help you
on your way, take a look at http://www.classical.net/

In any case, you will find that 25 is a very provisional number.

Happy listening.

Jim Tobin