From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:22:58 -0700
Bob Draper ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Does Don Vroon really think that sweetness and emotion are synonymous? If
>so he's way off beam.  To me sweetness means catchy tunes.  Emotion is
>something else.  Take Mahler and Bruckner as examples not much sweetness
>there but plenty of emotion.

Well, there is also sweetness of tone, which many modern ensembles seem
to avoid.  I recall a yaer or two back a French string quartet (damn, what
was their name) visiting and playing, inter alia, the Ravel.  Absolutely
gorgeous; and there was a definite "sweetness" (the only word) to their
tone, which was anything but cloying.

But I wouldn't equate "sweetness' with "catchy tunes">

Deryk Barker