From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:19:43 -0700
Scott Morrison ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Richard Pennycuick asks:
>
>>Scott Morrison:
>>
>>>...we had played the Beethoven Fifth (for four hands)...
>>
>>Interesting!  Whose arrangement was it?
>
>My first impression is to say Liszt, but honestly I don't remember, if I
>ever knew.  We had checked the scores out of the music library of the local
>conversatory and worked our way through the Nine.  I do remember singing,
>'O Freunde!  Nicht diese Toene!' while playing the secundo.

Liszt certainly did arrange the 9th for four hands - prior to his 2 hand
version, as he didn't originally think it could be done for 2 hands.  But
that's not to say that someone else didn't make an arrangement too.

But what I'd *really* like to know is the name of the lunatic who arranged
all 32 Beethoven sonatas - for four hands!

Deryk Barker