From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 20:06:38 +0200
Denis Fodor [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>Ray Canyon writes:
>
>>...There are lots of composers and performers that have had complex
>>behavioral or neurogenic problems...  but we have been blessed by their
>>music...  Britten and Bruckner are two just now coming to new levels of
>>evaluation....
>
>What was/were Bruckner's problem/s, please? (Apart from the one with
>Brahms)

As I see it, Bruckners mind was split in two contradictory wiews on himself
and his mission as composer.  His feelings told him that he was not going
to be a great musician, meanwhile he dreamed and felt that to become a
great composer was his destiny.

Therefore when Bruckner started writing on a symphony he began with feeling
ankward about it, but he had the gift to write excellent andantes, and the
more he wrote of a symphony, the more he felt that this was his destiny and
the more he fell in love with his own work.

Thats why I percieve Bruckners symphonies (Nr.  4 is an exception here) to
have a relatively weak first movement, with increasing quality through the
whole work, ending in a triumphant finale...

Mats Norrman