From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:57:14 +0100
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dave Wolf wrote:
>
>>Rossini was another prodigy who ran out of steam.  Any thoughts, other
>>nominations?
>
>I must leap to poor Rossini's defence!  He wrote a great many excellent
>operas, some of which are unsurpassed for wit and liveliness, as well as
>ravishing melody.

And I agree, Rossini was talented, and he could easily find a cheerful
melody.  I enjoy amny of his operas.

>And in his youth he worked damned hard, turning out operas at a punishing
>rate.  So what if he decided to take it easy in middle age?

He didn't after all sleep the resting half [pun intended] of his life.  He
dabbled with Gastronomy, and did invent some new dishes.  I don't think he
gave up composing only because he was lazy; he had heard the new composers
pooping up, and he is reported to have said, that he couldn't compete with
them in the long race, and he had better retire "undefeated"...

>In no way can he be described as a youthful prodigy who failed to fulfil
>his promise.

Agreed.

Mats Norrman