From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:37:30 -0500
Jon Lewis wrote:

>Can our Biber aficionados tell us whether the Vox set by Lautenbacher is
>an acceptable intro? I'd like to get a recording that has a fair amount
>of variety of continuo instruments.  Is there a Naxos offering?

This refers to the Rosary/Mystery Sonatas, judging by the Lautenbacher
reference.

I'm not aware of any Naxos versions of Biber sonatas, though I haven't
looked religiously through the racks of late.  The Lautenbacher set is the
oldest recording (early 1960s) of these sonatas presently available, if in
fact not the first set ever made.  I've not listened to all of it, but from
what I have heard it's perfectly acceptable, given that the playing style
represents "Baroque HIP" as practiced in the 60s.  And of course, the price
can't be beat.

If one is looking for the most diverse variety of continuo colors however,
a very recent recording by Gunar Letzbor et al.  on Arcana (which I
reviewed in October; check the List archives) seems to have that gained
that distinction.  However, this recording tends to vary the continuo setup
between different sonatas, so not all instruments are playing all the time.
Note that this is a full-priced set, unlike the Vox.

Another set that I've not heard, but comes recommended by folks whose
opinions I respect, is a Virgin recording by John Holloway and the continuo
group Tragicomedia.  However, I'm not sure it's presently available.

Bill H.