Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:55:49 -0500
From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
David Runnion wrote:

>...  The left hand is used for expression, cues, and dynamic indications.
>A good conductor shouldn't have to talk much, because he (or she, there are
>some very fine women conductors indeed, Marin Alsop springs to mind) can
>show everything that is necessary with his hands, face, and body language.

How does this apply to people conducting while playing an instrument?

>... there's an old phrase, "There's no such thing as a bad orchestra,
>only a bad conductor" and to a large extent, this is true. I play in an
>orchestra that is not by any means Major (Palma de Mallorca, Spain) and
>the difference in the quality of the performance is amazing, depending
>on the conductor. One week the musicmaking will be on the very highest
>level, exciting and involved, and the next week the same band will sound
>listless and un-together.

This has fascinated me.  Apparently the best conductors can get
superb performances from otherwise obscure orchestras and, conversely,
an orchestra of international reputation can fall flat from poor
conducting.  Which raises a question for me.  The Philadelphia Orchestra,
under Stokowski and under Ormandy was famous for its "Philadelphia sound".
Did this Philadelphia sound remain when Toscanini guest conducted them?

Walter Meyer