Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:03:07 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
For some strange reason, the December issue of Gramophone didn't hit the
newstand in Albuquerque until today.  Even stranger, only one copy was
available when there are usually about 10.  Still stranger, there was
actually a disc attached to the magazine (first time I've seen that).
The disc is titled "Preview 2000".  I like that approach.

I just finished skimming through the magazine, and even that cursory
examination has left me salivating for more recordings.  Here's some of
the potentially great stuff on the horizon:

Tchaikovsky's 6th from Gergiev/Philips - He's the man who turned me around
on Tchaikovsky (half-turn).  This time he even provides a coupling; you
guessed it, Romeo & Juliet.

Bach cantatas from Goerne/Norrington on Decca - I'm not too familiar with
Goerne, but I've heard great things.  I'll see how he handles Bach.

Bach's complete WTC from Tureck/DG - This one's a major event for me.
It's probably from the past, but that's fine.  I'll take Tureck any way
I can get her.

Mahler's 4th from Boulez/DG - I'm confident that Tony and Deryk are
particularly anxious to get their hands on this one.

Mozart piano sonatas from Brendel/Philips - All new, enough said.

Beethoven's opus 59 string quartets from the Takacs Quartet/Decca - I like
this group - looking forward to it.

Bach's Goldberg Variations from Koroliov/Hanssler - He's the man who gave
us an excellent Art of Fugue on Tacet.

Additional Ramblings:

Turkey Recordings - Just three.  How about the Eroica Trio with their
compilation on modern instruments of baroque works? Don't agree? Try this
one on for size - an 8 cd set from Naxos of Bach orchestral works; that's
over 8 hours of modern instrument terror.  Best of all is the new Linda
Brava violin recital disc from EMI.  She can play this flypaper material
in scanty clothing or none at all; I'll look at her, but I'm not buying
her.  I really dislike compilation recordings; it's as if there isn't one
composer worth sticking with.  I think of it as music for those with short
attention spans and no loyalty.

Out of Gramophone's 10 Editor Choice recordings, two are from Vivaldi.
That's a downer, but I'll try to get into a better mood by the time my wife
gets home.  She's having her hair done, and she definitely won't put up
with any grousing about Vivaldi; she'll want me to concentrate on her
loveliness (easy to do).

There's a picture on page 18 of Arcadi Volodos in his customary constipated
condition.  The guy needs to eat right.  Any nutritionists on the list?

On page 21 we have a very photogenic Sarah-Jane Bradley, viola player for
the Leopold Trio with the caption: "A viola player worth listening out
for".  Seems to me she's worth taking out too.

Uchida is giving us a new Schubert disc with piano sonatas D 575 and 845.
Unlike some, I have not found her way with Schubert particularly rewarding
with additional listenings.  There's a lilt/swing to Schubert's music which
Uchida passes on, and the results are excessively melancholy and static.
The new set I mentioned from Classico easily tells you where Uchida is
lacking, and it's a major deficiency.  That's a shame.  She was so good
in Mozart.

I'd like to end on a high note.  Channel Classics has released the 2nd disc
from Rachel Podger of Bach's sonatas and partitas for solo violin.  These
are great baroque violin performances.  Get to your real or visual store
and grab these cds up.

P.S.  - A list member had very good things to say about the new Naxos
recording of Beethoven's Fidelio.  Gramophone must agree.  The reviewer
considers it outstanding without reference to price.

What a magazine!  There's so much to absorb from it.

Don Satz