Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:01:08 -0500
From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Mats Norrman writes:

>Does this Dr Faustus bear any resembleance to the other Faustuses by
>Gounod, Pugnani et al in music or libretto? How carefully does the
>libretto follow Goethes version?

I've only seen Doktor Fustus once, and quite a long time ago, at that.
>From the program notes I seem to remember that Busoni based his text on an
old German Puppenspiel.  There's no close resemblance to any of the other
Faust operas that I've experienced, except in the grossest sense, namely
that they all deal with the Faust legend.  But I sensed only the most basic
of relationships between Busoni's handling of the story and that of Goethe.
A fine, enjoyable opera, I thought.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]