Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:58:51 EST
Laurie and Carla, I would have thought that to get those "good" bacteria so
far from the anus all the way into the deep dark depths of the vagina [:>]
would have required fecal contamination of a degree that would be causing all
sorts of nastiness.  Not so?  Or do the lactobacilli migrate there somehow on
their own?    I like to imagine them walking across the perineum :) -- but as
you can tell I"m having trouble picturing the mechanics of this whole process.

Joy's explanation that putting more lactobacilli in the gut just lets your
immune system concentrate on its trouble in other areas, however, is easier
for me to picture.   This explanation would suggest that it's beneficial to
take acidophilus for other yeast-trouble sites, including nipple, breast
ducts, etc, though the only way it would seem to help the baby is by
indirectly decreasing mom's yeast at contagious sites, rather than by getting
the good bugs into the milk.

Thank you all for helping work this through -- intriguing stuff --

Elisheva Urbas
woefully deficient in anatomy in NYC