From:
James Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:34:39 -0600
I agree that "evidence-based" practice doesn't have to be related to
large cohort, double blind studies only.  Look at the ILCA
publication on evidence-based practice.  Each item has "ratings" to
indicate the type of evidence.  I don't have a copy here at home to
quote directly, but I believe there is a wide range of types of
evidence from anecdotal to double-blind.
Incidentally, this little booklet has been eagerly accepted by many
of the Peds at our hospital including some that haven't always been
the most supportive.  We had only a few copies when we first showed
it at a department meeting and those who didn't get one asked for
enough for all the groups to have it.  Now let's see if they will
change some of the frustrating stands some of them have taken.
Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks!
Winnie Mading IBCLC