From:
Shari Nelson LLLL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:19:00 EST
Hi.  My name is Shari and am a LLL Leader.  I have a couple of questions.A
mom has contacted me and is 8 months pregnant with her second child.  She is
on 10mg of prozac every other day for nighttime anxieties.  She wants to
nurse her baby, as she nursed her first (was not on prozac at that time).
Her Dr. has told her she cannot nurse while taking prozac.  She is afraid
what she might do (to her baby) if she has an anxiety attack if she stops
taking prozac.  Is there a safe amount of prozac to take at any given time
while breastfeeding?  Is there any other medication that she can safely try?
She has also been told that her baby will have withdrawl effects after the
baby is born.  If so, to what extent.  I have searched the archives and
cannot find enough information to adequately give her information.  Thank you
so much for answering my questions.
Shari, LLL Leader