From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:03:33 +1000
John Mitchell refers to "> Nature's Garden:
>An Aid to Knowledge of our Wild Flowers and their Insect Visitors", by Neltje
>Blanchan (New York; Doubleday, Page and Co. 1900). The reference is as
>follows:
>
>   "Australian farmers imported clover from Europe, and although they had
>luxuriant fields of it, no seed was set for next year's planting, because
>they had failed to import the bumblebee. After his arrival, their loss was
>speedily made good."
>
>   What is the source of Blanchan's report?

This description may relate to the introduction of bumble bees to New
Zealand to pollinate the red clover planted by settlers.  Australia and New
Zealand collectively are referred to as "Australasia" and I can easily
imagine that an author  writing in the United States in 1900 may not have
appreciated the distinction.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html