From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:31:55 +1100
The only composer I know of whose birthday was 29 February was Rossini,
who was born in 1792 and thus this year is only the 52nd time his real
birthday has occurred since.  He doesn't get a lot of attention on MCML.
One of my earliest CM memories - well, sort of - was Spike Jones's version
of the William Tell Overture (and it's.....Beedlebomb).  One of my early
LPs was the Dorati collection of overtures on Mercury and not long after,
the Stabat Mater.  But I've never been mad about the string sonatas.  My
favourite overture is The Turk in Italy, which has a delicious horn solo
in the opening section.

As we get less opportunity to celebrate Rossini's birthday than any (most?)
other, if your cholesterol level allows, have some tournedos, or maybe just
an aria or two.

Richard Pennycuick

 [A rare breed.  The only other leap composer I know of is Sir Frederic
 Hymen Cowen (2/29/1852-10/06/1935).  -Dave]