From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:16:33 PST
Stephen Heersink wrote:

>If nothing else, Bruckner is the most capacious composer in an
>attempt to overwhelm the listener.  Anyone who tries to do less than
>a capacious recording will sound thin and anything but Bruckner.

I haven't determined yet whether I want Bruckner heavy, light, or at all.
I'm trying to get a handle on this and have bought some of the recordings
highly thought of by list members, Rattle's 7th, some of Tinter's
recordings, one by Norrington, and am thinking about Harnoncourt.

One of the problems with my reaching any conclusions is that when I
open a drawer filled with cds having recordings by Bach, Handel, Mozart,
Shostakovich, and many other well-known and obscure composers, Bruckner's
not likely to get the nod.  Although I have listened to the above
recordings I mentioned, I can't say I have come close to absorbing the
Bruckner idiom.  And it just could be that Bruckner and I don't connect.
We'll see what the future holds.

Don Satz