From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:24:38 +0000
Roberto Strappafelci

>Vivaldi wrote some 480 concertos, 22 symphonies, 85 sonatas, 50-94 operas
>and 60 sacred works.  The old saying that "he didn't wrote many works, only
>many times the same work" is partly true, due to the huge amount of music
>he produced,

This statement is correct but one could say the same thing about almost
any composer with a large output.  So why do people single out Vivaldi
for critism? There is a big similarity between many of Bach's works for
instance.

>...but you cannot reduce his work to four concertos.  It wouldn't be the
>correct approach a composer who influenced his contemporaries throughout
>Europe.

Agreed! There is a lot more to Vivaldi than that.

I love the man's music mainly for it's 'joi de vivre'.

Bob Draper