HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:14:50 -0400
> William White wrote:
>
> List Members:
>
> Bob Schuyler recently stated, in part, "American society, or any
> other, does not need archaeology to survive so in some absolute sense
> all of out profession is a waste of tax money as is most of social
> science and historical scholarship, not to mention the humanities."
> This reminds me of a statement made by one of my close associates, a
> Federal archaeologist, reflecting this same sentiment.  To paraphrase,
> "If reporters from 48-HOURS or 60-MINUTES were to follow me or any
> other archaeologist around to see what we really do, we would all be
> looking for new jobs."  Indeed!

I have long suggested that we archaeologists are generally unaware of
our real roles in our society. If we would see that we function at least
in part as a component of the entertainment industry, and behave
accordingly, we would probably be much better paid!
--
Dan Mouer
http://saturn.vcu.edu/~dmouer/homepage.htm