HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Joe B. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:47:00 -0400
Date sent:              Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:30:40 -0400
From:                   George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: movement of privies
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Send reply to:          HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>

> "FART He has let a brewer's fart, grains and all, said of one who has
> bewrayed his breeches.
>
> "Piss and fart,
> Sound at heart.
> Mingere cum bumbis,
> Res saluberrima est lumbis."
>
> From Scondrel's Dictionary compiled by Michelle Lovric, adapted "reissue" of
> Captain Francis Grose (1731-91) The classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue
> (1785)
>
> My Latin is lousy, could someone translate.  Sounds like a requiem for a
> hanging.
>
> George Myers

George,

A translation, courtesy of my friend, G. Girasa:

mingere---to pass water or slang in italian means to piss
cum---with
bumbis---im not sure possibly gas
the last sentance means is good for the back

Sorry, but I had to close the circle on this issue for karmic
reasons. Besides, with the translation, the full wisdom of the poem
is realized, no?

JBJ