HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:04:13 -0400
Just a few thoughts on the subject:

In the "Famous First Facts: A Record of First Happening, Discovery and
Invention in the United States" (1973) the first toilet paper in NYC is
reportedly made by: J. C.  Gayetty in 1857. It's a wonderful book.

I have to remark that the Officer's Latrine at Fort McHenry was inside a
structure alongside the bombproof. It was a right triangle affair apparently
and the latrine was a two "holer" -- in the shape of a kidney made from
brick. If I remember right the NPS found sewing kit(s) and a table service of
whiteware in it. The enlisted men's latrine was reported to be outside the
fort than on an island, and it's location unexcavated. This was supervised by
Bryan Avazian with the Denver Service Center and I don't know if there ever
was a report. Very interesting I helped excavate it with a flintknapper form
Maryland, up near Aberdeen, MD.

That square in the island, was similar to a square in the fort near a hotshot
furnace near the 90+foot brick and cast iron lined well there put in just
before the bombardment. The square feature on that island was where water was
stored and approximated the size of the previous described Hudson River
feature, except this was brick and supposedly held water, but not for very
long, hence the well. The well had 10' long iron interlocking barrel like
"staves" used to hold out the Chesapeake out, about 40-50 feet. Built just
before the bombardment (whew!) ordered by General Armistead. The attack has
been explained as retaliation for burning Toronto, Canada where a bombproof
blew up next to Zebulon Pike (Pike's Peak fame explorer) his pieces brought
back in a barrel and buried at Sackett's Harbor, New York. A fence there is
from Buckingham Palace, around the cemetery, as a gesture of friendship from
the Royal Crown, some see as an apology for burning Washington and the White
House. We're (some of us) are not sure if Pike made it into the cemetery at
"Madison's Barracks."  The last war's "war brides" were patriated there and
ex-Pres. Ulysses S. Grant had his first commission there. Mayor Fiorella
LaGuardia (I have been to his family's brick summer house on Long Island.
Former Heye Foundation employee Ms. Calender used to live there) grew up
there his father was a noncom musician (drummer?) in the Army stationed
there. Unfortunately I heard they burned down the wrong place there based on
eyewitness testimony and left the wrong building standing where the "Little
Flower" grew up.

George Myers