From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 17:08:04 -0800
Donald Scarinci ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I've listened to Beethoven String Quartets op. 127 and op. 131.  Which
>numbers are they from 1 to 16?  I'm not used to hearing them described by
>opus number even though this is the more definitive way to describe the
>pieces.

   Op.18: Nos.1-6
   Op.59: Nos.7-9
   Op.74: No.10.
   Op.95: No.11
   Op.127: No.12
   Op.130: No.13
   Op.131: No.14
   Op.132: No.15
   Op.135: No.16

The order of composition of the late quartets doesn't correspond with
their opus numbers, BTW.  I don't recall the details offhand, but I have
a feeling that Op.131 was actually composed just before Op.135, which was
the last.

Beethoven's last composition for string quartet was the new finale for
Op.130 and Op.134, the arrangement of the Grosse Fugue for piano, four
hands, was his last composition for keyboard.

Deryk Barker