From:
Renato Vinicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:06:17 -0200
Jonathan Knapp wrote:

>I think the casual, or even devout, Beethoven fan might find some of
>Brendel's interpretations "dry." Portions of the "Moonlight" sontata,
>and a few of the other "masterpieces" fall into this category.  I think
>the Brendel set makes a nice complete collection that could easily be
>supplemented by the outstanding performances of some of the great works
>by the likes of Ashkenazy, Gilels, and others.  Good luck, and happy
>listening!

Of the last recordings of the cycle, I think Brendel made the best job
on his life recording of Hammerklavier.  Wonderful too is his op.109, but
I really don't get good with his op.111.  His Arietta is like Frederich
Gulda's:  boring, affected and mistaken - in my radical opinion.  I don't
know why I feel that, and I even have Brendel as one of the best pianists
alive and of my favorites.  I prefer, for exempla, Pogorelich's op.111,
Kempff's and I wold like to know if someone also don't like this recording
and witch are the best options for this that is my favorite music.  I
didn't hear too many recordings of it and I want to buy some more.  I
bought Brendel's having I would love it, but it was a deception.  In my
opinion, this sonata is a "philosophical contemplation" of the time, and
allegory of Human saga, from Fiat Lux to the enthropical end the first mov.
our origin, the second our end, and it's theme our epitaph.  Pogorelich,
even being a record that sees that "philosophical contemplation" is yet too
emphatic.  I'm looking for a recording that express somewhat my point of
view.  If some of you "captured" what I tried to say - difficult to say
some things out of our natural language...- and knows some recording that
could come up with me I would be glad to know.

Thank you,
Best Regards
Renato Vinicius