From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:56:34 +0200
Jeremey McMillan responds to Edson:
>>Another question to increase the discussion: wasn't Beethoven an
>>african-dutch descendent?

>Hmmm...  That's a good question to ask.  I don't know about the African
>part, but the "Van" part in his name makes me think he is mostly likely of
>Dutch descent.

"Worse".  For the argument's sake allow me to call Flemish congruent to
Dutch, for then I can tell you that it's for sure that he was of "Dutch"
descent (but actually this is incorrect, of course, Flemish is not Dutch).

>But he possibly could be of North African Dutch descent.

No, this is highly unlikely.  See what I already wrote about it, yesterday
and today.

>I saw a biography of Beethoven on the A&E channel.  Beethoven once said
>that the "Van" part in his name stood for royalty.  COME ON, Beethoven!
>Did you have to lie about your lineage.  Talk about too much pride!!

No, no, this is very, very incorrect.  Beethoven said exactly the opposite.
In a lawsuit against his sister-in-law (because of the famous nephew
affair) he was asked for his descent.  The judge erroneously thought that
he was a noble man.  Beethoven told him the truth.

Greetings,
Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven