From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 09:28:35 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>I enjoy Handel suites for harpsichord performed on the piano and the
>harpsichord.  Same with the sonatas of D.  Scarlatti.  I don't think I've
>ever heard any French baroque harpsichord music performed on the piano.
>It would be interesting given all the ornamentation involved.  Could Bill
>or anyone else tell me of piano recordings of the French baroque period?
>This music on harpsichord tends to be hypnotic.

Didn't someone like Keith Jarrett do something recently? I'll confess
that my exposure to French Baroque on the piano has been in recitals,
enough to scare me away from investing money in recordings.  Somehow, I
tHink that the attack/decay characteristics of the piano don't go well
with the pungency, the ornamentation and tenderness of Couperin, or Rameau.
But like I said, I've yet to be convinced otherwise, which maybe does leave
some hope for me in the eyes of the hard-core pianisti.

Bill H.