From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:30:06 -0400
Don Satz:

>Then there's no reason to delay the purchase of Herreweghe's great set.
>Herreweghe's interpretation and his vocal soloists are excellent.  Suzuke's
>version on BIS is also very good, but his soloists don't compare well to
>Herreweghe's.  Gardiner's won a Gramophone award, but I don't feel he gets
>to the core of the work.  Herreweghe's earlier SMP, also on Harmonia Mundi,
>is almost as good as his new one, but I heard it was out of print.

I'm rather disappointed with the new Herreweghe.  The worst is the bass
singing the arias:  it's quite a feat to sing through one's clenched teeth,
as he obviously does all the time.  The result is extremely ugly.  Who is
this singer and why did they let him anywhere near the microphone? I
preferred the first Herreweghe, frankly.

-Margaret