From:
Des Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 21:26:14 GMT
I was at a live concert last night when Dvorak's Mass Op 86 was
Performed by orchestra, organ and chorus.  One of the performers dropped
his instrument with a clatter during one of the quieter sections.  The
whole performance, in any event, was so 'strange' (bad?), his intervention
reminded me of a live concert by Cornelius Cardew in 1967 which I
attended--where incidents like that were 'intended' and made part of the
music performance.  This posting of mine I believed, at first, to be
relevant to what I *guess* you must have been talking about before I joined
(today)-- regarding extraneous noises by performers.  However, it is
relevant, too, to the Intentional Fallacy in art and, also, to the debating
point that a bad performance is sometimes just as revelatory (or more so)
about a particular piece of music as a good one.

Des Lewis
http://dflewis.cjb.net/