From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 10:25:15 -0800
Mats Norrman ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>David Runnion <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Have to wonder what Santana'd think of a Theme and Variations on Black
>>Magic Woman with no attribution, calling it original material??
>
>The German group "Die Firma" has the theme from Mozarts 40th symphony as
>beackground in one of their songs.

Some years ago the English magazine Q published a list of something like
250 popular songs which used classical melodies.  Check the deja-news
archives of rec.musical.classical - I posted much of the list there.

Meanwhile a few of the better (known) ones:

   Nut Rocker (Tchaiksovsky Nutcracker Suite) 1961 (?) B Bumble
      and the Stingers
   Saturday Night at the Duck Pond (Swan Lake) Lord Rockingham's XI (1958?)
   Lovers' Concerto (a munet from the notebook of Annad Magdalena
      Bach) The Toys (1965)
   Beach Baby (the horn fanfrae from the finale of Sibelius 5, I
      kid you not) First Class (1974)
   All by Myself (Rachmaninov PC #2 I think) Eric Carmen

They go back much further:  from pre-war years there's "I'm always chasing
rainbows", which is based on the Chopin Fantaisie-Impromptu, and of course
the whole of Kismet (Strangers in Paradies, Baubles Bangles and Beads) is
by Borodin (mainly the 2nd? string quartet and Prince Igor)

And the slow movement of Tchaik 5 has been used at least twice IIRC.

Deryk Barker