From:
Hi-Do Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:48:58 -0500
Hello!  A while ago, I was listening to the radio on my way to work,
and the classical music station played a beautiful romantic orchestral
piece with a piano soloist playing in it.  It reminded me a little
of Rachmaninov, but not quite.  In fact since I know most of Rach's
piano+orchestra works, I knew it wasn't Rach.  Eventually I was informed
that it was the slow movement (Andante, I think) from Shostakovich's piano
concerto #2.  (D.  Shostakovich Jr.  playing the piano, with M.
Shostakovich conducting I Musici de Montreal)

Shostakovich?!  I was really surprised because I had sampled some of his
output over the years (some symphonies, string quartets, Preludes & Fugues
for piano, and even his opera "Lady Macbeth..."), but nothing had clicked
for me.  Nothing had prepared me for this delicious piece of work.  I had
always thought his music was too extreme:  Either too serious or too
light/flippant (I am not sure this is the right expression, but I hope
you know what I mean.).

Anyway, although I don't know what the other movements will sound like,
I think this has whet my appetite for Shosty's PC #2.  So, could someone
recommend a good recording of this work? Someone strongly recommended an
EMI version where the composer himself plays the piano.  The Gramophone
recommendation seems to be Alexeev on EMI/CfP.  How is the Houston/Lyndon-
McGee version on Naxos? How about Bernstein? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Hi-Do Shin
Seoul, Korea