Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:18:45 +1100
Thomas Holm wrote:

>There was someone who, (I think it was Don) talked about Hakon Borresens
>symphony no. 1 and his violin concerto and liked it.  There is also a CD
>with his symphony nos, 2 and 3 on the same label Marco Polo, Danacord.
>
>We who live in Sweden and Denmark can buy those recordings on the Naxos
>label to a much cheaper price.

When news of Naxos's American Classics first appeared, I remember reading
somewhere that they would only be available on Naxos in the US but on Marco
Polo elsewhere.  With this in mind, I asked a friend who was visiting the
US to pick up the Piston Violin Concertos for me, but it seems the series
is available on Naxos everywhere, so I'm interested in Thomas's comments.
OTOH, Marco Polo has been a mid-price label in Australia for some years
but is still full-price in others, including the UK (?)

Richard Pennycuick

 [Heymann has stated that they price each country or region differently,
 based on the perceived market strengths for the music in that location.
 In Scandanavia, releases of works by Scandanavian composers will
 *usually* be budget priced.  Likewise in the US for the American
 Classics series - they may be priced higher elsewhere.  What comes out
 on Naxos in one location may be released on Naxos in another.  -Dave]