From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:03:33 +0000
Philip Haldeman wrote:

>...  Naxos can be a great help to the pocketbook when an entire cycle is
>so well done.  May I also recommend the Haydn quartets.  This cycle by The
>Kodaly Quartet is wonderfully musical and a big favorite of mine.

I think that time has not been kind to the Kodaly's Haydn series.  By this
I mean that better versions are now plentyful eg Lindsay's, Mosaiques,
Salomon's.  The Kodaly's versions are still more than satisfactory 'for
the price' it's just that the other versions are better.  But this is what
happens.  At one time the Tatrai's was the set to get.  But, now it's a bit
dated.

The Naxos Shostakovich series IS excellent.

Bob Draper