From:
"William J. Karzas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:27:40 -0800
Don Satz asks about merits of full sets oif Dvorak ymphonies:

>... I'm ready for a complete set of the symphonies.  I have a recording or
>two of the last three symphonies but none of the earlier ones.  If memory
>serves, I have Davis doing the last three on Philips and Harnoncourt's 7th
>or 8th (whichever he did first).
>
>Kubelik has a full set on DG, and I think that's received much acclaim.
>Are there any other full sets of merit? I could also buy on a one by one
>basis.  Reading the archives, it appeared that Szell was considered a great
>buy for the latter symphonies.  How about Gunzenhauser on Naxos?

Assuming they are still around I would recommend Kertesz' set on
London/Decca or Rowicki's on Philips.  Both were at special low prices.
I would also second Kubelik's ull-priced (I believe) DG set and Szell's
7,8 & 9.

Regards,

Bill Karzas                     [log in to unmask]