From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 07:15:25 +1100
Don Satz told us he is:

>...  currently interested in Metamorphosen.  As best I remember, I have
>two recordings - Karajan on DG Galleria with the Four Last Songs and oboe
>concerto, and Stamp on Virgin coupled with Strauss orchestral songs.
>
>Nimbus has released a new recording of the string chamber version
>performed by the Brandis Quartet Berlin coupled with Schoeberg's
>Verklarte Nacht.  Reviews I have read are favorable without being highly
>complimentary.  Have any list members an opinion of the Nimbus recording?

I haven't, but I'd like to suggest the Rudolf Kempe/Dresden Staatskapelle
version on EMI which is part of a 3-CD set which in turn is part of three
such sets containing a very large percentage of Strauss's orchestral works.
There may be individual versions that are better, but I have found them
very satisfying over the years.  I'd be surprised if these are not lurking
in the archives somewhere in Albuquerque, but I thought it worth a mention.
Every time I see an ad for these sets, they're cheaper - mine were three
CDs for the price of one.  Wait a while and EMI might even pay you to
accept a copy.

Richard Pennycuick