From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:14:35 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>I recently departed from my usual regimen and made an order of nothing but
>French chamber works which arrived today:

I don't know these recordings but I do have all the Faure works mentioned
on EMI Collard Dumay etc.  Wonderful works and good performances.

The Faure noctures on Naxos, Jean Martin, are another strong recommendation
of mine.

Do you folks outside the UK realise that last year Faure's pavane became
a big hit here because of the BBC's use of it in their world cup (soccer)
coverage?

A couple of years ago I was in Germany and listening to some Faure on
my personal stereo.  A German colleague said "what are you listening to?"
"Faure" I replied.  "What?" "Faure".  "What 4 times letter A?".  I showed
him the cd case at that point.

The Ravel is one of the great quartets.  I just will that record companies
would couple it with other Ravel works rather than someone else's quartet.

I am glad that you are listening to French music.  I think that (perhaps
Berlioz apart) French music is severely under-represented here.

Bob Draper
*** Seasons greetings to all my readers ***