From:
Keith Gerling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:00:15 -0600
I've read your posting several times, and I finally have to admit I'm not
sure of your point.  It seems as if you're suggesting that music has run
out of possibilities; that there are no new areas to be explored.  I think
you're mistaken.  Just as in all eras, the field is rampant with creative
forces at work trying to stretch the envelope.  And, just as before, time
will tell which of these individuals will succeed and become the
"classical" composers of our time.  Witness, for instance, the work being
done by composers such as Bernard Guenter, Ryoji Ikeda, Steve Roden, Stuart
Dempster, Francisco Lopez, Mika Vainio, etc.  This stuff is "Serious" -
created by academically schooled individuals, and performed in "Art"
settings.  (This point being made in order to emphasize that we're not
talking Pop music here!).  Yes, it is challenging.  No, it doesn't use a
conventional orchestra.  But it certainly isn't random notes.  And some of
it is very good!

 From reading this list, I've compiled a wish list that will take me
months to satisfy.  The contributors here possess a wealth of information,
regarding performers AND obscure (as well as popular) works.  But I
continue to be perplexed by the lack of interest in contemporary music.
Are there any Morton Feldman fans here? How about Alan Lucier?

"Keith Gerling" <[log in to unmask]>