From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:12:35 -0600
Mats Norrman:

>A propos Gergiev: I think he reminds of Karajan in much what he does.
>Anyone agree?

I have never been a Karajan basher, but for many here, this would not be a
recommendation.  I would be more inclined to compare Gergiev with Michael
Tilson Thomas.  Both are very careful with articulation and phrasing and
bring out the beauty of the music they conduct.  I grab anything I see with
Gergiev conducting.  (Not really much, so far, I admit.)

Jim Tobin