From:
Jonathan Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:30:14 -0800
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There are quite a few Handel opera recordings from Harmonia Mundi
>conducted by McGegan or Jacobs which I consider definitive and one
>on Hyperion conducted by King (Ottone).

I own several of those and thought about including them on my list, but
since Handel's operas are just now being considered mainstream repetoire,
I thought it wiser to go with the more traditional canon (with a few
exceptions.)

>Beyond that, there are just two which I can't imagine being equaled:
>Magic Flute from Klemperer and EMI, and La Traviata from Kleiber and DG.

I thought about adding the Klemperer to the list, but I thought that
it might draw objections since there is no dialogue.  Any complete sets
recommended? I also nearly included the Callas live Traviata with Kraus
and Ghione, but the poor sound quality, and certain questionable vocal
emissions from Mme.  Callas kept me on the fence.

Jonathan Knapp