From:
Franco Destefanis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 08:06:11 +0100
Edouard Cruz writes:

>I'd like to buy Rigoletto in a near future.  The French critic like
>Kubelik/Bergonzi/Scala almost unanimosly.

I share the opinion of the french critic, mainly because the lesson of
style given by Fischer Dieskau and Bergonzi, without mentioning the
freshness of Scotto`s voice.  Solti`s version is also outstanding with
Robert Merril in the leading role and an always elegant and refined Alfredo
Kraus as the Duke.  Even if it was criticised by practically all reviewers,
my personal preference goes to the first recording of Muti with La Scala
(Emi 1988).  I admit that Zancanaro(Rigoletto),La Scola(Duke) and
Dessi(Gilda), are not the ideal singers for such a difficult task, but
the freshness and impetus put by Muti in developing the dramatic musical
context are worth of consideration.

Franco Destefanis
Rome - Italy