From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 07:25:01 PST
I was again playing Richter's recording on Russian Revelation last night.
Out of curiosity, I decided to follow it up with Jando's recording for
Naxos.  I've had the Jando account of Book 1 for about a year and was
not particularly impressed with it.

Perhaps I was just in a generous mood last night, but my opinion of Jando
rose significantly with the playing of each prelude and fugue.  He does
many of them very well or better with a fine sense of momentum and insight.
Also, the recorded sound is excellent.  Given the low price, I now consider
the Jando recording a fine choice.  And, that means that I'll be picking up
Book 2 from Jando today.  Not bad.  Get a fine 2-cd recording and have
lunch, all for about $15.

It is interesting to feel one way about a recording, then develop a very
different opinion at a later date.  I think that "mood swings" often play
a major role.

Don Satz