From:
Michael Cervin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:05:45 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>I had no idea that Tureck has a new recording out on DG of the WTC.  That
>would be a set to "kill" for.  When and where is it being released? I'll
>fly there to pick it up, and I detest being in airplanes.  But, I'd love to
>hear her play the WTC in a manner similar to her recent Goldberg Variations
>on the same label.

I was under the impression that it was a new recording.  In fact, it is
a re-release of her 1953 recording, which has been withheld for copyright
reasons.  The DG autumn -99 catalogue is misleading when it gives the
recording information as DDD and 4D Audio Recording.  However, when I
examined a copy of the set, it was quite clear that it was a re-release.

The copyright problem seems to have been solved by Universal's aquisition
of the Polygram classical catalogue.  Earlier this year, there was a column
on the subject in Gramophone, where Mme Tureck was quoted saying that she
had often been asked why her recording of the WTC hadn't been released on
CD.  She seemed not to have had any reservations on her own behalf.

The release is on 463305-2 (four CD's for the price of three?).  With a
deferential impression of the black discs in mind, I agree wholeheartedly
with Donald Satz that it will be a set "to kill for".

Best regards,
Michael