HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
James L Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:30:16 -0600
Hamilton Beach calls theirs the "Smooth Edge" can opener.  The term "Smooth
Edge" is a trademark.  According to their web page, "Side-cutting
technology creates smooth lids that won't fall into can."

Below is the abstract of what appears to be the patent for this:

United States Patent 6,058,613
So May 9, 2000

Can opener

Abstract
A manually operable can opener of the rim-cutting type comprises a
rotatable traction wheel (22) of generally cylindrical configuration and a
freely rotatable circular cutter blade (48) wherein the rotational axis of
the cutter blade is inclined to the rotational axis of the wheel at an
angle of substantially 6.degree.. In their operative position, the cutter
blade (48) penetrates a radially outer thickness of metal material
comprising the rim but does not cut completely through the rim whereby the
can end (62) may be cut leaving a smooth edge both to the end (62) and the
side wall (68) of the can. Complete separation of the cut end from the can
body is facilitated by gripper jaws (70, 72) movable by the user to grip
that part of the rim attached to the can end to hold and detach it from the
remainder of the rim attached to the can body.

Inventors: So; Shun (2/F., Chuan Yuan Factory Building, 342-344 Kwun Tong
Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, HK)
Appl. No.: 184179
Filed: November 2, 1998

Since this technology does not go back very far, perhaps you are thinking
of the key-opening type of tins or cans that coffee and meat commonly came
in.  Key-opening, vacuum packed coffee cans were introduced in 1924,
according to Metal Packaging Container Classification by Mike Reilly,
available on the Web. In 1875 Arthur A. Libby and William J. Wilson
developed the tapered can for corned beef in Chicago, but I am not certain
that this is a beginning date for the key opening can.

James L. Murphy
Ohio State University Libraries
1858 Neil Avenue Mall
Columbus OH 43201