Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:18:45 -0300
From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Ulvi Yurtsever replies to Dorothy Smith:

>>Does regarding melody as the most important element in music (and I plead
>>guilty here) make one prosaic rather than poetic?
>
>I wouldn't use the term prosaic, but it certainly makes you miss out
>on some of the greatest pleasures in life (much of Bach and Beethoven,
>for example).

I know that Ulvi is not referring here to "all" of Bach's and Beethoven's
music, but this statement reminded me another one from Stravinsky, who
criticized Beethoven (and Berlioz too) because of his lack of melodic
ability. He made also the panegyric of Bellini, because in his opinion, he
had this ability in a highest degree. Of course, to compare Beethoven with
Bellini (favourably to the last one) is an assertion made "pour epater les
bourgeois". However, since --due to financial problems-- I'm no longer a
"bourgeois", then  I'm no longer "epatee", and now I think that this is
only another stupid statement made by a great composer. Beethoven had the
melodic "touch" maybe in the highest degree (uh, what a discovery: nobody
needs examples of this). If one takes a look on Beethoven just as a
melodist, one finds the most original and beautiful output of his century.
This fact is usually forgotten when one looks at the "Historical" and
"Progressive" Beethoven (all that stuff of the sonata form, the structure
and "woow, look what he did wit that Diabelli's cheap waltz!").

PS 1. Ulvi: the adjective "stupid" is valid only for Mr. Stravinsky's
statement, of course. I'm agree partially with your opinion, since in
*some*  Beethoven's works, melody is not really the most important element.

PS 2. Dorothy: regarding melody as the most important element in music
doesn't makes you a prosaic, but an italian.

Pablo Massa (an italian)