Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:57:47 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Mats Norrman wrote:

>Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Even a few of the Mozart fans here are admitting that the admiration goes
>>far beyond common sense.  I would be the first to concede that 20-30 of
>>the early Haydn symphonies aren't up to much.
>
>I am surprised to hear that from an inveterate Haydnlover!  The troikaday
>symphonies 6,7,8, Le Midi and company, are frequently recorded.
>"Der  Philosoper" is a little gem in its clearness and easyness with which it
>seems to have been composed..."Lamentatione" is a masterwork!  It has a
>strong emotional impact and is for me one of the best Haydn symphonies of
>them all.  These two latter mentioned symphonies surely reveals that Haydn
>isn't that harmless "Papa Haydn" some people thought about him to be.

I mean that between 20 and 30 of the early works are not masterpieces.
(Not meaning number 20 to number 30) Le Matin Midi and Soir are of course
masterpieces as are the other works you mention.

The reason some of the others are not IMO is because they are experimental.

Bernard Chanson also wrote quite extensively about me, Mozart and Einstein.
I have replied to him privately because of the high scientific content.

I intent to take the advice and butt out on the subject of Mozart for the
moment.  However, I have promised certain people that I will listen to
certain Mozart works and will report on them honestly in due course.

Meanwhile I will continue to promote Haydn as sensibly advised by several
members by writing about his works rather than denigrading other composers.

Bob Draper
Haydn Fest, Leamington Spa, UK.  28/4 - 3/5, 2000