Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:59:29 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Iain Simons wrote:

>Hello all, I've heard some interesting 18th century music lately (Stamitz
>family, Michael Haydn, etc.) and discovered they're in a series called the
>*Contemporaries of Mozart*.  I'm interested in your opinion with respect
>to performance and sound.  How many discs are available in this series?
>Who distributes them and what are(is) the catalogue number(s)?

I think this series is on Naxos.  But, I haven't heard any of them.  In
any event how can we take a series seriously that does not feature Joseph
Haydn, Mozart's most famous contemporary?

I'm being facetious of course because in my view all these people and
Mozart himself are contemporaries of Joseph Haydn and I therefore find
the title of the series offensive.

If you want to know what I've been moaning about these last few months
then the name of this series provides part of the answer.

How condescending and patronising to describe Micheal Haydn and Stamitz
as mere contemporaries of Mozart.

Bob Draper