Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:27:57 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
I decided to buy a couple of chamber music cds for car listening and
opted for two Naxos discs of Dvorak string quartets performed by the
Vlach Quartet Prague (opus 61 & 80 - 51 & 105).

Well, I already knew this was great music, and expected that I'd enjoy the
cds.  But, I didn't expect to find that the Vlach Quartet is close to or
even as good as the Panocha, Lindsay, or Stamitz Quartets.  They are.  The
playing is idiomatic, crisp, poetic, dramatic - has it all.  Recorded sound
for this repertoire is just how I like it: rather dry with low
reverberation.

I continue to be increasingly impressed with recent Naxos recordings.  I
have stayed away from Naxos for baroque music on period instruments, but
I'll probably give it a shot with the Musical Offering which I think Naxos
offers on period instruments.  Has anyone heard that recording?

Don Satz