Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:20:35 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>In the last year, I've bought several CDs of his orchestral music and have
>found it very enjoyable.  The piano music is too, much of it very virtuosic
>and pleasantly flashy in places.

I have mixed feelings about Dohnanyi's music.  The first of it I heard
was when I picked up an Hyperion disc of his chamber music, some with
piano. That was enjoyable.  Then, I got the two symphonies and had the
same opinion.  I should have stopped there, but I also got the piano
concertos in Hyperion's romantic piano concerto series.  I thought I was
listening to a Liszt clone of lesser talent.  I couldn't tolerate it, and
I'm a very tolerant person.

i think I'll play tonight those three Dohnanyi cds I do like, just to get
the taste of the piano concertos out of my mind.  Does anyone like those
piano concertos?

Don Satz